Author: Layla Pujol
Refreshing tropical margaritas made with fresh mango, passion fruit juice, pineapple, lime, sugar, tequila, orange liqueur, and ice. Yield: 6-8cocktails
- 2 cups or 10-12 ounces of pineapple chunks, about ½ pineapple
- 8-10 ounces of fresh mango slices, from 2 mangoes
- 1 cup passion fruit concentrate or pulp, unsweetened (use frozen packs if you don’t have access to fresh passion fruits)
- Juice from 1 -2 limes
- About ½ cup sugar, honey, agave, or sweetener - adjust based on your preference
- 1 cup to 1 ½ cups of tequila, adjust to your preference
- ¼ to ½ cup of orange liqueur, like Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- Several cups of ice
- Slices of lime and sugar or salt to decorate rims
- Fresh passion pulp, from about 1-2 passion fruits - optional
- Pineapple slices
- Place the pineapple chunks, mango slices, passion fruit concentrate, lime juice and sugar in a blender. Mix until smooth.
- Add the tequila, orange liqueur, and plenty of ice. Blend until the ice is crushed and smooth, the margarita should have a creamy slushy consistency. Adjust the amount of ice based on the consistency you prefer.
- Moisten the rims of the glasses with a slice of lime and garnish the rims with sugar according to your preference.
- Serve the cocktails immediately garnished with fresh passion fruit pulp, pineapple slices, and/or lime slices.
Mexican Grilled Corn
Street vendors across Mexico sell this style of roasted or grilled corn—topped with mayonnaise, chili powder and Cotija cheese. You can serve the unadorned corn on a platter with small bowls of the sauce, cheese and lime on the side so everyone can make their own. By: EatingWell Test Kitchen
- 4 ears corn, husked
- 4 tablespoons finely shredded Cotija, (see Shopping Tip) or Parmesan cheese
- 1 lime, quartered
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine mayonnaise, yogurt and chili powder in a small bowl.
- Grill corn, turning occasionally, until marked and tender, 8 to 12 minutes total. Spread each ear with 1 tablespoon of the sauce and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Cotija (or Parmesan). Serve with lime wedges.
- Shopping tip: Cotija cheese, also called queso añejo or queso añejado, is an aged Mexican cheese similar in texture and flavor to Parmesan. Find it near other specialty cheeses or in Mexican grocery stores.
Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Pie
by Nellie and Joe's Famous Keylime Juice
This simple, four-ingredient pie has a bright and tangy yet sweet and creamy filling.
- 1 9-inch graham cracker pie crus
- 1 (14-ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice Whipped cream or meringue and lime slices (for serving; optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine milk, egg yolks, and lime juice. Blend until smooth.
- Pour filling into pie crust and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to stand 10 minutes before refrigerating.
- To serve, top with freshly whipped cream or meringue, and garnish with lime slices.
- This recipe is made available as a courtesy by Nellie and Joe's Famous Keylime Juice.
Margarita is also called a Moonlight Margarita or an Electric Margarita, but they are all essentially the same. This drink is a simple twist on the classic margarita cocktail. It is perfect served on the rocks or as a frozen drink, plus this margarita recipe can also be made by the glass or by the pitcher. This is one super drink that will have everyone asking for more.
- 3 oz 1800® Tequila
- 1 1/2 ounces Triple Sec
- 1 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
- 1 1/2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 1 oz lime juice
- Salt Rimmer
- Rub rim of cocktail glass with lime juice
- Dip rim in salt rimmer
- In a shaker shake Blue Curacao, Triple Sec, lime juice, sugar, and tequila with ice, strain into the salt rimmed glass, and serve
- For the frozen version simply replace the shaker with a blender and blend to your desired consistency.
- To reduce the calorie count a bit substitute 2 packets of Splenda for the sugar.
- Serve with a few pineapple slices.
Marshmallow Snowman Hot Chocolate
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of salt
In a saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa and salt. Add water and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in milk; heat to serving temperature. Make sure not to boil…we don’t want to burn those little tongues. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Whisk until frothy.
Skinny Pineapple Jalapeño Dip
While Skinny Pineapple Jalapeño Dip, served with Cape Cod Reduced Fat Potato Chips, may not be “lucky”, it sure tastes “tropical” & this is an “Island” blog…plus, we love potato chips, which are a complete necessity when one is drinking rum punch! Author: Lisa Newsome - adapted from Pineapple Pepper Dip by Gwen Farlow
- 2 packages low fat or fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1-15 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup chopped jalapeño
- Place the cream cheese & pecans together in a food processor. Pulse until the pecans are well combined with the cream cheese.
- Add the pineapple & pulse until thoroughly combined.
- Add the scallions & jalapeño, again pulsing until well combined & smooth.
- Serve the skinny pineapple jalapeño dip with your favorite crackers or kettle chips.Easy
Gwen prefers to use green bell pepper & regular cream cheese, & this dip is delicious! Since I prefer a little heat, I use jalapeños…another friend prefers a little chopped habañero…this is a dip that you can decide for yourself…all 3 are great, so whether to add heat, or how much to add is a matter of personal preference...
This is a great make-ahead dip & is tastiest if refrigerated overnight so the flavors can meld.
The easiest way to drain pineapple is to pour the crushed pineapple in a mesh strainer...save the drained juice for your favorite cocktail/mocktail!
The Christmas Punch Cocktail
At the award-winning Greenhouse Tavern in Cleveland, lead bartender Dave Taha has created the ultimate holiday tipple that tastes good with or without booze. “This one reminds me of Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa’s,” says Taha. “The fresh ginger gives it a bit of zing, and the tart cherry adds depth and balance, while the allspice and nutmeg lend their holiday spirit.” Whether you decide to drink it clean or spiked, it’s surely going to get you in the festive spirit.
1 1⁄2 oz Light rum (optional)
1⁄2 oz Cranberry juice
1⁄2 oz Simple syrup (2:1)
1⁄4 oz Tart cherry juice
dash Grated fresh ginger
dash Freshly grated nutmeg
2 oz Ginger ale
Garnish: Ground ginger
Combine all of the ingredients except for the ginger ale and nutmeg in shaker with ice and shake.
Strain into rocks glass over ice, and top with the ginger ale.
Gently stir, and garnish with ground ginger.
- 8 wonton wrappers*
- 1/2 cup oil
- 8 lionfish fillets
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce*
- 2 tablespoons sweet Thai chili sauce*
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup seaweed salad*
- 1/4 cup wasabi mayonnaise*
*Items can be found at Asian markets.
Place oil in a small frying pan and heat oil until hot. Place one wonton wrapper in at a time. Cook briefly until it starts to bubble (approximately 10 seconds). Turn over and cook another 10 seconds. Remove and drain on kitchen towel.
Put wasabi mayonnaise into a squeeze bottle and set aside. Combine sweet soy sauce, sweet chili sauce and soy sauce together in a bowl and set aside. Spray skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Cook lionfish fillets in skillet over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until flaky and tender. Cut or flake lionfish so it is in small pieces. Toss lionfish in soy sauce mixture.
Place lionfish on wonton wrappers, top with seaweed salad and drizzle with wasabi mayonnaise.
from The Lionfish Cookbook by Tricia Ferguson and Lad Akins
Rocky Mountain High Coconut Cream Pie
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups light cream, at room temp
- 1 cup milk, at room temp
- 4 extra-large egg yolks, lightly beaten, at room temp
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 fully baked 9 inch pie shell
1. Mix sugar and cornstarch in large bowl until it resembles powder.
2. Add the light cream slowly in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Beat well.
3. Add milk in the same way. Beat in egg yolks.
4. Pour into heavy 2-quart saucepan, set over medium high heat, and bring to boil, stirring constantly.
5. When the mixture reaches a hard boil (when bubbles continue thru stirring) reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 minutes while continuing to stir.
6. Pour the filling into medium size bowl. Beat in the butter one Tablespoon at a time, stirring each until melted.
7. Beat in vanilla and coconut. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and let cool for 1/2 hour.
Spoon filling into pie crust, chill until firm, at least 4 hours. Can decorate with whipped cream and browned coconut if so desired.
Fresh Pineapple & Passion Fruit Mojito
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and chopped into chunks
- 50ml pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 2 limes/lemons, sliced
- 150ml light rum
- 4 passion fruit, seeds and pulp removed
- soda water (club soda)
- ice, to serve
- lemon slices, to serve
- fresh mint, to serve
- Blend the pineapple, juice and sugar together until you have a smooth puree.
- To make the cocktail, combine the pineapple puree, rum, mint and lemon/lime and passion fruit in a jug then muddle together.
- Pour a little of the pineapple mixture in the bottom of 4 glasses, add ice then top with soda water. Add fresh mint and a few slices of lemon and serve.
Author: Alida Ryder - Serves: 4-6
Calypso Chicken Pizza with Mango Salsa
- 2 Tbsp. Margaritaville Calypso Rub
- 3/4 lb. thin-cut chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. flour or cornmeal
- 1 pizza dough
- 1 cup Margaritaville Mango Salsa
- 1/2 lb. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spread Margaritaville Calypso Rub onto plate and press each side fo chicken breast into rub to season.
- Heat large skillet over high heat, add oil and cook 2 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F using an instant-read thermometer. Chop chicken.
- Spread flour or cornmeal on a clean flat surface and stretch pizza dough into a pizza shape over it. Put pizza on a cookie sheet or pizza pan.
- Sprinkle chopped chicken, Margaritaville Mango Salsa, cheese and green onions over pizza dough.
- Back 12 to 15 minutes, until crisp and bubbly brown on top.
(makes 1 serving)
1/2 ounce dark rum
1/2 ounce light rum
1/2 ounce 151-proof rum
1/2 ounce Kahlúa
1 ounce fresh lemon juice
3 ounces unsweetened pineapple juice
Wedge of pineapple or slice of orange and a maraschino cherry
Shake the rums, Kahlúa, lemon juice, and pineapple juice with ice then strain over crushed ice into a chilled glass. Garnish with a pineapple wedge or orange slice and a maraschino cherry.
Uncle Julio’s pineapple-bacon guacamole
Today’s avocado-based recipe comes to us courtesy of Uncle Julio’s, a Mexican restaurant that focuses on taking traditional Mexican dishes and presenting them in new and delightful ways. Now, instead of your boring, typical guacamole, you can create your own version of Uncle Julio’s pineapple-bacon guacamole using the recipe below:
- 1 cup guacamole (check out some simple recipes here)
- 2 tbsp pineapple (diced into ¼” x ¼” pieces)
- 2 tbsp cooked bacon (chopped into ½” x ½” pieces)
- 1/2 tsp diced red bell peppers
- 1 piece green leaf lettuce
- 1 Tbsp cooked bacon (chopped into ½” x ½” pieces)
- 2 tsp queo fresco
- 1 tbsp pineapple (diced into ¼” x ¼” pieces)
- 1 lemon wedge
- Place guacamole in mixing bowl.
- Add pineapple, bacon, and red bell pepper to mixing bowl and fold into guacamole carefully.
- Place a piece of Greenleaf on a small plate for decoration
- Place guacamole on center of plate.
- Sprinkle additional Tbsp of bacon and queso fresco on top of the guacamole
- Place additional Tbsp of diced pineapple on one side of guacamole for taste & aesthetics.
- Place lemon wedge on other side of guacamole. Squeeze the lemon on guacamole before eating.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Easy Mexican Hot Chocolate
Recipe by: Sheldyn
"This is an easy way to spice up regular hot chocolate mix. Add more or less of each ingredient, depending on taste. Serve with marshmallows or whipped cream and enjoy."
3 tablespoons instant hot chocolate mix
1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch chili powder
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup boiling water
In a large mug, mix the hot chocolate mix, chocolate syrup, cinnamon, and chili powder. Pour in the milk. Add the boiling water and stir
2 oz. Chairman's Reserve rum
2 oz. Perrier or club soda
1 tsp. brown sugar
1/2 lime juice
Muddle the mint leaves and lime juice in a glass, add brown sugar, then ice. Next, add watermelon cubes, then pour rum and soda and serve with a garnish of mint or lime.
If you want something really fancy, nothing is showier than a Miami Vice; part piña colada, part daiquiri and all Bahamian. Twin Brothers, a popular restaurant at the Fish Fry (Arawak Cay) on West Bay St usually serves this drink as a virgin but it can easily be spiked with rum. The two parts can be prepared beforehand and combined when served.
1 part sweetened condensed milk
1 part coconut milk
3 parts white rum (optional)
(for the strawberry daiquiri)
1 part strawberry syrup
3 parts light rum (optional)
Blend both parts separately with ice until smooth. Fill a stemmed cocktail glass with the white piña colada mixture and then add the strawberry daiquiri mixture on top. Decorate with a maraschino cherry.
Cayman Sunset Tropical Drink Recipe
Straight from the popular beach bar on Grand Cayman, Royal Palms delicious tropical drinks like this one are served nightly.
3/4 oz. amber rum
3/4 oz. dark rum
3/4 oz.banana liqueuer
1/1/2 oz. pineapple juice
1 1/2 oz. orange juice
1/2 oz. piña colada mix
Myer's Rum floater
Mix first 6 ingredients in a blender with ice. Pour in tall glass. Add a Myer's Rum floater on top and enjoy!
Jerk SHRIMP & Grilled Pineapple
1 pound (16 - 25) shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup jerk marinade
2 slices pineapple, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 green, 1 red bell pepper cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Marinate the shrimp in the jerk marinade for at least 20 minutes and up to over night
Skewer the shrimp, peppers and pineapple alternating colors and pattern
Grill over medium-high heat until cooked, about 2-3 minutes per side.
This recipe uses pre-made or store-bought jerk seasoning. Get it in the ethnic isle of your local supermarket or make it from scratch.