What is the True Cost of Diving?
Like many other hobbies, SCUBA is an equipment intensive activity. You can't dive and stay underwater without the proper equipment. Equipment needed is also determined by what time of the year and where you are diving. To say the least, it will cost you money to dive. Now as a new diver there are a number of ways to reduce the cost, especially here at STSC.
- Twice a year STSC has a free gear day so you can dive with us at a local site while owning nothing but mask, snorkel, & fins.
- We have an option called the 6 Pak Program. With this program, you can make 6 local dives with a STSC staff member and equipment is provided, all for only $99.00.
- Other than purchasing everything, STSC has rental options. You can rent a few items or you can get the "I need everything" rental for just $45.00 a day.
- As a certified diver while traveling with us on any of the STSC week long dive trips, you can rent gear at half of the normal rate.
After becoming certified, chances are you'll want to own your own equipment and STSC offers a large range of prices for equipment that will fit your needs and be within your budget. In addition to the wide price ranges, STSC also offers in-store financing for 48 months on any purchase, 90 days same as cash. Stop in at STSC, we'll be happy to go over the lines we carry and the costs.
The equipment below is typically what a recreational diver might own:
Thermal Protection could be one or more of the following:
- Shorty Wet Suits $60 - $215
- 3mm One Piece Suits $109 - $305
- 5mm One Piece Suits $119 - $369
- 7mm Two Piece Suits $185 - $578
BCD's $245 - $695
Regulators $209 - $609
Alternate Second Stage (Octo) $60 - $196
Tanks $180 - $410 which include 10 free air fills
- Air Console $159 - $240
- Nitrox Consoles $339 to hoseless integrated $795
Equipment packages are also available
For example: Our summer package includes: thermal protection, BCD, regulator, alternate air source, gauges and tank for $912.95 plus tax or $29.37 for 48 months, or 90 days same as cash.
Price alone shouldn't determine what equipment you buy and where you purchase it. Shopping locally at STSC you will have the opportunity to talk to one of the knowledgeable staff members who can help determine what gear is best suited for your needs. In addition, you will also be able to try on some of the gear to make sure that it fits properly and that it is comfortable. In most cases, the staff has the knowledge and certification necessary to provide factory authorized maintenance and repairs on-site. Scuba centers are only authorized to service products they sell and therefore, equipment not purchased locally may have to be returned for annual service, which is very costly.
At STSC, we have pride in our high level of customer service and the ability to take care of our customers needs. So the next time you are looking for gear, come in and give our staff a chance to earn your trust and your business. Hope to see you at a dive site soon and thank you.